Thursday, June 3, 2010

bye-bye boobies


Where: Dining Room
Temp: 90 degrees & Sunny
Two Ups: The flowers are blossoming and I gradually weaned bambino (the last 3-4 months w/a couple of set backs), a couple months shy of his second birthday :o)
Two Downs: it's already June and no more nursing :o(
Mood: Bittersweet
Listening to: She & Him Vol. 1 "I was made for you"

Nursing has been bittersweet. Don't get me wrong, it was a lovely experience mixed with a love-hate relationship at times. There were moments were I felt like giving up especially during the 2am pump sessions. Also having bouts of sore cracked nipples is pretty bad (and yes I used lanolin, but it made it worse). I did not anticipate that. Mastitis (which kicked my a**), would change anyones mind. But now bambino is ready to wean from nursing. It was a great learning experience and I hope to do it again.

My favorite moment from this whole journey is the second night home (pictured above). We were all so tired and a huge yawn fest ensued (32 hours of no sleep will do it to ya). As I finished breastfeeding the little guy, he smirked and let out a sigh of contentment. It was moments like these that kept me sane, motivated and in awe of the life I held in my hands. I was able to provide for my child in a way that I never knew I could. The female body is an amazing machine. I can make people (with the help of the opposite sex) and produce my own milk, awesome!

Things I learned:
  • Tell your husband to kiss the girls bye-bye! They belong to baby (temporarily). In my case, it was 20 months. ("Ha, ha" - pointing at husband & laughing)
  • Nursing isn't as easy as everyone says it is and it is not for everyone. I think some people over embellish and do not disclose the painful ugly side. So don't feel guilty if you have to use formula. Whatever works for you and baby is what should matter.
  • Lanolin, Soothie Gel Pads and a double breast electric pump are your best friend.
  • Don't let family members or friends pressure you or give you guilt trips for nursing too long. It's your breast and it's not a majority vote!
  • None of this would be possible without the encouragment of my family and husband.
  • Weaning takes time. So don't feel like a failure if you don't meet your 3-4 week deadline. There were several events that set us back: the little guys surgery, getting sick (alot!), trips. Things happen.
  • Hungry Baby + v-neck shirt + public outing = peep show; An outing to Target ended up being a peep show. He was hungry and determined, while I was in a rush to hurry up with the errands and get home. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for nursing in public, but I like to cover it up personally. Just my preference.

No comments: