Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Misadventures in Breastfeeding

1.) "Your body preparing for breastfeeding."

During the first week of nursing, I developed a rapid fever. It happened after I had just finished nursing my son. I got up out of bed, then all of a sudden I began to shiver uncontrollably and fell to the ground. My breasts then became tender and sore. My husband rushed me to bed and took my temperature. I had a 102.4 fever and rising. We didn't know what was going on. Our first reaction was I developed an infection due to the C-Section, but that wasn't the case. According to my OB/GYN, the pediatrician and lactation consultant it was my body preparing for breastfeeding. It was something completely normal and I shouldn't worry about it.


2.) "Mastitis happens."

If you're nursing and you feel like you have the flu, it's probably Mastitis. If your breasts are tender to the touch, red in one area or warm/hard on one side, it's probably Mastitis. If you decide to skip a few feedings, decide not to pump because you're sleep deprived and you want some sleep (like I did), you may cause yourself to have Mastitis. Go see your doctor so they can prescribe you some antibiotics. You'll feel so much better.


3.) "No one told me about nursing pads"

For about 2 1/2 months I went without nursing pads. Yes, I said 2 1/2 months. I lived in fear of leaving the house wondering and asking my husband, "Am I leaking? Are you sure?" At that time, my remedy was to just layer my clothes. But in doing so, I ended doing more laundry because I was producing so much milk. For some reason it never occurred to me to ask. I was more concerned with other things like: is our son getting circumcised, how do we care for our newborn son or which hospital is he going to be born at. I never took the time to ask, "How do I take care of my leaking breasts?"

No comments: